A Perfect Summer Salad: Grapefruit, Avocado & Fennel w/ Asian Citrus Dressing
Grapefruit, Avocado and Fennel Salad
I found a delicious recipe for a Grapefruit, Avocado and Fennel Salad that I had to make – it’s a fresh combination of healthy grapefruit, avocados and fennel with a light, tangy Asian Citrus dressing made with fruit juice, honey, olive and sesame oil and a little bit of onion and mustard. The original recipe called for a pound of fennel, but I switched it up by adding sliced celery and fresh salad mix (any lettuce will do but I used an Italian Romaine, green leaf and cabbage mix). I also added some some fresh grapefruit juice into the dressing and topped the salad with some sliced toasted almonds for some nutty flavor and crunch. You could also throw in some sesame seeds or sunflower seeds which would be great too. The original recipe called for twice the amount of dressing which I cut in half, and I recommend tossing the dressing on at the end instead of all together with the salad, to avoid any mushiness and to keep the veggies fresh and crunchy. If you want to double the dressing recipe below, use half of it as a marinade for some grilled chicken or shrimp and toss either of those into the salad for a full meal. Light, tangy, refreshing and delicious! Perfect summer salad – enjoy.
Grapefruit, Avocado & Fennel Salad
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon Vidalia onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large pink grapefruits, sectioned
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cut into paper-thin slices
- 2 celery stalks, cut into thin slices
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into thin slices
- 1 bag of fresh salad mix
- 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- To make the dressing: whisk together all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- To make the salad: cut the grapefruits in half, and cut around the edge and in between the pith, peel and cut out the wedges, removing all pith and peel. Trim the top and bottom off of the fennel bulb, remove the core and cut into paper thin slices. Cut celery into thin slices. Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Cut thin slices and remove the outer skin.
- Toss salad mix into a large salad bowl, and add grapefruit wedges, fennel and celery slices and add dressing, tossing to coat. Top the salad with avocado slices and sliced toasted almonds and salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe inspired by and adapted from Epicurious